Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Waikiki

I walk through this town like a ghost
Lost in a rushing mass
In a city of millions
Alone in the crowd
A casual observer, monitoring the actions of modern man
An endless well of disappointment.

At work 12 hours a day
Up and down that elevator
Holding the building together with duct tape and baling wire
Emails and microchips
Spit, sweat and good intentions

I see her one hundred times a day
She’s beautiful and sweet
She makes me laugh
I yearn to feel some kind of human contact
To bump into her or to feel her behind me
Her hands on my shoulders
It doesn’t matter anyway
I’m afraid should it go any farther
Would ruin it anyhow
So I keep my distance
And leave things as they are
Ahhhh but she’s probably married
And much too young
It seems the best ones always are

It doesn’t matter anyhow
Relationships too often end up a disaster
In my life the large part of my disappointments
Came from expecting beautiful people
To be fair and virtuous.

I leave the building under a dark cloud
A little bit lonely
The saddest man in the world
I’ll drive home through Friday evening traffic
Shower, get dressed
And go walk the city streets alone.

No comments: